infer、deduce、conclude、gather与judge这些动词均含“推断”之意。
infer : 指从已提供的论据或从已接受的前提出发而推断出的结论。
What do you infer from her refusal?
你从她的拒绝中能推断出什么?
I inferred from her expression that she wanted to leave.
从她的表情上我可判断出她想离开。
deduce : 指有充分根据的推论,也指逻辑学上的演绎。
We cannot deduce very much from these figures.
我们无法从这些数字中推断出太多东西。
The police have deduced that he must have left his apartment yesterday evening.
警方推断他肯定是在昨天晚上离开公寓的。
conclude : 指得出符合逻辑的结论。
The jury concluded from the evidence that the defendant was innocent.
陪审团依据证据判裁决告无罪。
The discussions continued late into the night, but nothing was concluded.
一直谈到深夜,可是没有作出任何决定。
gather : 指从听到的情况推测、判定。
Harry loves his new job, I gather.
我认为哈里很喜欢他的新工作。
From what I can gather, they're old school friends.
据我推断,他们是过去上学时的朋友。
judge : 多指经过仔细鉴定或评价之后作出决断。
So far, he seems to be handling the job well, but it's really too soon to judge.
到目前为止,他的工作看起来还干得不错,但现在下结论还为时过早。
It's difficult to judge whether the new system really is an improvement.
很难判断新系统是否真的有所改进。
The meeting was judged (to have been) a success.
人们认为会议很成功。